Sunday, June 30, 2013

Backyard "Giant" Matching Game

 
Are you looking for some outdoor fun with the kids?  Try making your own Backyard Giant Matching Game!   My cousin Shawna made this game, and I loved it so much I had to create one for my daughter.  It was really easy to make.  Just follow the directions below to make your own set!


Rules of the Game

 
Set the game up in rows as shown above.  One player turns over two tiles.  If the tiles match, that player takes the pair and gets another turn. If the tiles do not match, they are flipped back over and the next player gets a turn.  The winner is the player who has collected the most pairs.

 

How to Make a Backyard "Giant" Matching Game

 

Step 1 - Get Vinyl Floor Tiles

 
I found these vinyl floor tiles at Ollie's (a discount store).  There were 25 in a box for $9.99.  They are like a linoleum tile, so they are bendable and durable.  The tiles are adhesive, so in a later step I will explain how to attach a piece of cardboard to each tile.  Since you need pairs for the matching game, I only used 24 of the tiles.

Step 2 - Paint the Tiles

This is a great project for the kids to help with.  I found six old cans of paint (in fun colors) and painted the tiles.  I painted four tiles each of the different colors.  It took two coats of paint to completely cover the design on the tiles. 

Step 3 - Attach Cardboard

In the first picture above I have one tile turned upside down so that you can see the paper covering the adhesive on the tile.  I cut 24 pieces of cardboard (from old boxes) and attached them to the back of the tiles.  This made the tiles sturdy.  You could also use brown paper if you want the matching pieces to be a bit thinner.

Step 4 - Duct Tape the Edges


In order to give the tiles a finished look, I folded a piece of Duct Tape (in a crazy paint splash color) over the front and back edge of the tiles.  I found the Duct Tape at Dollar General for a couple of dollars.

 

Step 5 - Get 12 Images

I printed 12 images onto card stock.  The size of each image was roughly 7 x 7.  I used animals, shapes, and silhouettes of my kids' heads.  After printing the images you are going to use, cut them out.

 

Step 6 - Trace the Images onto the Tiles

Trace each image onto two tiles (remember you need to have pairs) as shown above.

 

Step 7 - Paint the Images

Paint each of the tiles.  When you are finished you should have 12 pairs of matching tiles.  You are now ready to play your matching game!  Have fun!

 

The Final Product



No comments:

Post a Comment